Saturday, February 07, 2009

Gelatin Monoprinting

I discovered monoprint printing on a gelatin plate in a workshop a few years ago. The gelatin was so responsive to the ink and paper, that I promised myself to try it again. It took until recently to keep that promise. For some reason I didn’t want to go to the trouble of making the gelatin plate. As a result, I made a mess of it when I did. After patch and repair, a suitable plate emerged and the next day it was firm enough to apply the inks. It didn’t take me long to realize I was dealing with a sizable learning curve. I only had a couple of water base ink colors and the caked rollers created unexpected results. “Moving Forward” is the only print that satisfied me. I have a couple more that I may enhance later. I will probably try this again before the gelatin plate goes bad, but I am not too sure it was worth all the effort .


  1. well it may have been a hassle for you but I enjoy seeing the posted result :-)

    The teacher who demo-ed this for our group had a very simple recipe and manner of moving ahead with the all in all it was great fun, especially since there were 10 of us experimenting together...thanks for this post Eva!

  2. I think my perfectionism got in the way. I agree it is more fun when you have a group sharing the experience. The workshop I went to was.


Thank you for taking the time to comment.Your comments are important to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...