Translate

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Back to The Drawing Board



As most of you know I made my living as an abstract artist for over 30 years. Although traditional art, especially drawing, was my first love. I remember at the age of 9 when my mother took me to my first art supply store in Dayton, Ohio. She bought me a Foster art book about drawing faces. I was hooked and spent hours copying the faces in the book. That was 70 years ago! Over the years I did many drawings and had some published in a small town magazine called the Vermonter back in the 60’s. .



In the late 70’s, after taking some classes at the Atlanta School of Art and also privately, I fell in love with abstract painting and made it my art career.


When I retired I discovered Photoshop and Painter. I started taking online classes for computer art. I was consumed with creative cloning and also painting freehand on the computer. Last year when the iPad came into my life the joy of sketching returned because I could work directly on the tablet. Recently my right eye has been giving trouble and the headaches have forced me to cut back on my iPad drawing. I signed up for some online classes and started working in real media again thanks to Julie Johnson (Instagram@julier13johnson)  and Renata Loree   and I love it!


The drawing of the woman above was drawn with a Dollar Store mechanical pencil in my journal.

8 comments:

  1. It's the love of making art no matter the tools. I loved reading your beginnings into drawing. I remember the Foster art books and my first ever art gift was a box of colored pencils. So glad to be an artist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment.I am not sure what my first art supply was, but the Foster book was my first real artist book and I have a whole collection of them now.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm?? I tried your book and I couldn't even draw Superman! Love your art---all of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. I think it takes a little more work than trying, even though trying is better than nothing. I am not sure I could draw superman and don't think I'll try ;-)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing. That is a superb drawing, and I am so glad to hear the iPad is revitalizing your art making. It is so fantastic that you are still working and challenging yourself with your art. I regret to say I know people younger than you who have decided they no longer want or can handle challenges, which I always find very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your kind comments are appreciated Carol.I agree that older people sometimes give up doing the things they love. I had to give up a lot of them too. That's why I bought the iPad. I can paint sitting in my recliner in my room. Also a I can still use a pencil and journal sitting here.The internet classrooms are my escape. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still have mine, although I know you didn't like it but I love it. Nice to see you now and then on the internet...how is the family?

    Neysa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for asking Neysa. We are doing fine.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.Your comments are important to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...