Translate

Friday, September 04, 2009

Masks

I recently entered another online challenge. The challenge was to create a modern twist on Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa. Artists have done this many times over the years, so coming up with something new was a challenge in itself. Lisa Patencio’s video on YouTube was my inspiration, and possibly by the fact that lately I have not been able to work in my studio without a mask.

Because of the wetter spring and summer this year, my basement has been mustier than usual. A month ago, I decided to try to remedy it by cleaning up any suspect areas. I opened an old trunk filled with some old art booklets. I was shocked how musty everything was. Immediately I removed the books and dusted out the residue without gloves or a dust mask. Then I sprayed it with an aerosol Lysol. The spray blew the spores all over me and released them into the room. The next day I was wheezing, a rash covered my arms, and my basement was mustier than ever. I bought another dehumidifier, replaced all the filters with HEPA filters, and now I am preparing to fog the whole basement using a mold control fogger from Home Depot. I hope after this I will be able to work in my studio again without a mask!

3 comments:

  1. What an awful mess in your studio...needing to wear a mask and all! My studio is right in the center of my home so I need to be careful on what I use...sprays etc.
    I like this mask, very clever.
    Thanks for visiting me, I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that if you wrap your booklets in plastic wrap and then freeze - you will kill the spores and be able to enjoy your treasures again - totally works on old bound books from the basement...

    However, I do not recommend wrapping and freezing yourself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Kathryn :O) I've stored the booklets in a large plastic tub with kitty litter. Guess I'll put them out side this winter when it gets down to freezing. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.Your comments are important to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...