Translate

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Making Alcohol Inks


Before I bought the Ranger alcohol inks I am using, I tried to make my own. I found a couple of videos on You Tube, but I didn't have the ingredients on hand and the process of making them seemed to be more trouble and expensive that is was worth. I decided to use some old drawing inks that I bought years ago for a class I took with Maxine Masterfield  As it turned out they are not as saturated or waterproof as the Adirondack Inks from Ranger alcohol-inks. Also they really don't work quite like the Ranger inks with their magical and almost uncontrollable behavior that fascinates me. Possibly the homemade recipes on You Tube are better. However, I don't plan to try them. 
 
The painting above was created with my homemade alcohol inks. I do like the fact that I can wipe out the colors with a damp sponge and burnish them with my fingers in a vinyl glove. Because the surface is so fragile I doubt if I can spray them with fixative. 
 
Here are the links that seemed to have the best information:
This link is about making the inks from fabric dye. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq1WguOBgg4
Another link is to make the ink from Sharpie markers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksVCq1dF6F8

If anyone has any experience successfully painting with homemade alcohol inks I would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.Your comments are important to me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...